Choice of methods to avoid the brittle failure of prestressed members
Eurocode 2 part 1-1: Design of concrete structures 5.10.1 (6)
Brittle failure of the member caused by failure of prestressing tendons shall be avoided. Brittle failure should be avoided by one or more of the following methods:
- Methode A:
- Provide minimum reinforcement in accordance with § 9.2.1.
- Methode B:
- Provide pretensioned bonded tendons.
- Methode C:
- Provide easy access to prestressed concrete members in order to check and control the condition of tendons by non-destructive methods or by monitoring.
- Methode D:
- Provide satisfactory evidence concerning the reliability of the tendons.
- Methode E:
- Ensure that if failure were to occur due to either an increase of load or a reduction of prestress under the frequent combination of actions, cracking would occur before the ultimate capacity would be exceeded, taking account of moment redistribution due to cracking effects.
The selection of Methods to avoid the brittle failure to be used in a Country may be found in its National Annex.